Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Vertical Politics And Health Care

Mike Huckabee's vertical politics would really benefit the on-going health care debate. Briefly, vertical politics is not about red states and blue states, it's not about left or right, it's about what is best for our country.

With that in mind, I would like to challenge all of us to look carefully and closely at the health care debate. What does it mean to you? How will it impact you and your family? Read, research and understand the issue and it's importance and impact to you - and then take a stand on the issue.

I must say I am opposed to the current proposals on health care. No, it's not because I'm a Republican, a conservative, a "values voter" or any other label you would want to put on me. I am opposed to it for several reasons, primarily because I do not believe our government was established to provide us with health care. I believe this is government intruding where it doesn't belong. I'm opposed to it because it will raise taxes, and that is never good to do during tough economic times. These are just some of the reasons I cannot support the proposed health care legislation.

Our country has a tradition of strong debate - that's the American way! However, my fear is we are getting caught up in party politics and mid-term election hype and are losing sight of the bigger picture. The health care debate should not be about stopping President Obama. The health care debate shouldn't be about not wanting Democrats getting the credit for fixing health care. Vertical politics injected in the health care debate would mean we focus on why or why not it is right for our country.

The current health care legislation puts government where it doesn't belong. It is creating a burden of debt that we cannot pay. Those are my reasons for opposing health care legislation - what are yours?

No comments: