Thursday, January 8, 2009

Foxx Sworn In For Third Term

The following is from a press release from NC Congresswoman Virginia Foxx.

Virginia Foxx sworn into office for third term
111th Congress swears in new and returning members today


Washington, DC—As the 111th Congress began today Congresswoman Virginia Foxx was sworn into her third term as Representative of North Carolina’s Fifth Congressional District. In taking the Oath of Office, Foxx swore to “support and defend” the Constitution of the United States.

“Today’s swearing in ceremony was both a solemn privilege and great honor,” Foxx said. “On this historic day I thank God for allowing me to have this opportunity to serve and I thank the people of the Fifth District for sending me back to Washington to represent them in Congress.”

Foxx was joined by her daughter Theresa Ozdemir and her granddaughter Rana during the 111th Congress swearing in ceremonies.

The House also cast votes for the Speaker of the House today, with Foxx voting for Representative John Boehner. Representative Nancy Pelosi was ultimately selected as the Speaker of the House.

The text of the Congressional Oath of Office is as follows: “I, Virginia Foxx, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.

Note: For downloadable, high-resolution photos of Foxx’s swearing in and of her signing the Oath of Office please click here.

No comments: